Wednesday 3 August 2011

Long Live McQueen

De mortuis nihil nisi bonum. That's a Latin saying which means that you cannot say anything negative about a person who died. In case of Alexander McQueen I definitely have to agree.

When I first read about his exhibition Savage beauty in the Metropolitan Museum of Art I absolutely wanted to see it. So you can probably understand why I was so exited to be in New York again. Normally you have to wait like an hour to get in but luckily we were members of the museum so we could enter immediately. Yes I know, I'm a very lucky girl. Don't be discouraged when you see the long line in the museum because it's definitely worth the wait. 


I have to admit that it was one of the most beautiful exhibition I've ever seen. I felt a lot of emotions when I was looking at all the indescribable dresses and I was so touched that I couldn't control my happy-tears. Every single dress is a masterpiece and to see these pieces of art in reality was just overwhelming. Not only the dresses were magnificent, also the music and the way the whole exhibition was presented took my breath away. 


I can tell you a lot of things about the exhibition, but in this video you get a little tour and a lot of information told by the curator, which is very interesting because you can see the dresses and how they are presented. 





You can also watch this hologram in the museum. You see the incredibly beautiful Kate Moss in an even more beautiful dress. I have to be honest here, I think I've watched it three times in the museum and another 10 times at home.
(Alexander McQueen's autumn/winter 2006 Windows of Culloden collection)





Unfortunately visitors weren't allowed to take pictures, but I've found some pictures on the internet of pieces I really liked. 

This is one of my favorites
Alexander McQueen Windows of Culloden autumn/winter 200§/2007
©http://imsoboring.com

                                     McQueen used a lot of feathers, this dress for example was made out of duck feathers.
                                    (Alexander McQueen The Horn of Plenty autumn/winter 2009-2010)
                                  ©http://blog.metmuseum.org/alexandermcqueen/dress-horn-of-plenty/

Romantic Nationalism.
I do love the second and third from the left.
©http://blog.metmuseum.org/alexandermcqueen/about

I'm a huge fan of this collection and especially of the shoes.
(Alexander McQueen Plato's Atlantis spring/summer 2010)
©http://blog.metmuseum.org/alexandermcqueen/about/



This little shoe was a present for me, my parents bought it in the giftshop.









No comments:

Post a Comment